Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Motivation in the form of Pain

So, Its been a really long time since I opened this blog. As with many things in my life I started something with some intention or another, then something shiny caught my eye and I forgot about my mission. I forgot that I had started a blog to help motivate me to lose weight.

Well, my body did not forget about my morbid obesity. Nor did my Crohn's disease retreat from its onslaught on my bowels. And in a strange twist of events I ended up spending 2 weeks in the hospital.

Over the past few months, even though I was making no effort to lose any weight or be any healthier. My body was fighting a losing battle. I was barely aware.

I had just started a great new job and other than being a fat slob I was feeling okay. Sure, If something fell to the ground I had a hell of a time picking it up. If I had to do a lot of walking then my back started to hurt something awful, and I had these spontaneous dips in blood sugar which resulted in massive snacking on junk food. Besides all that I was able to get up every morning and go to work.

That all ended very abruptly.

I was nursing an injury under my arm and taking some pain meds when my bowels just locked. I missed work on Monday because of the pain in my side, then early Tuesday morning the vomiting began. My bowels were so swollen that nothing was moving through... and all the food I had eaten was now retreating out the way it had come it.

It took a week in the hospital to prepare, but the following Monday I was sedated and operated on. 18 inches of my colon and large bowel were removed. The pain was intense.

Laying there. Unable to move. Wracked with pain... I remembered this blog.

The Hospital is a pretty boring place... but I did have my laptop, and with the streaming internet I was able to watch Netflix. On my queue was a movie called 'Fat, sick, and nearly dead.' I thought... DAMN TIM! That movie is about you Bro!'

The movie is about a dude from Australia who weighted about as much as I did (315lbs) who went on a 'Fruit Fast' for 60 days. Nothing but fruits and veggies through a juicer. He also had an auto-immune disease that he was battling, though not Crohn's... along with the food cleanse he added more activity to balance what was once a lifestyle very familiar to me.

I'm sold. Have juicer will travel.

So, Here it goes. It all begins tomorrow... and the best news is my wife is going along for the journey.

My weight when I checked into the hospital: 318lbs

Weight night before fast:284

1 comment: